Knivesexpert provides you with the best and honest reviews and buying guides through hours of testing, research and analysis to help you find the perfect knife. You support us through our editorially chosen links, which earn us commission. Learn more.
A paring knife is a tiny blade, yet one of only a handful that a home cook will presumably require. The paring knife is a special knife, which means it is intended for quite certain food preparing assignments. Numerous food chef specialists think of it as the second most significant blade to possess other than the chef expert’s knife. But which is the best paring knife of 2021? Let’s find out!
- Quick Overview (comparison)
- Top 10 Best Paring Knives of 2021
- 1 – Kuhn Rikon COLORI Non-Stick Straight Paring Knife (Best Pick 🥇)
- 2 – Wüsthof Classic High Carbon Steel Paring Knife
- 3 – Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Four Star Paring knife
- 4 – Mac Knife PKF-30 Professional Paring knife
- 5 – Global GS38 Western Style Stainless Steel Paring Knife
- 6 – Victorinox Paring Knife
- 7 – Tojiro DP 3.5-inch Paring Knife
- 8 – ZYLISS Paring Knife with Sheath Cover
- 9 – Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series Paring Knife
- 10 – Shun Premier Paring Knife
- What is a Paring Knife used for?
- What types of Paring Knives are there?
- Factors to consider when buying a paring knife – Buying Guide
- FAQ’s regarding best Paring Knife
- The Final Verdict
Quick Overview (comparison)
Top 10 Best Paring Knives of 2021
We’ve selected 10 different paring knives we though would be worth testing and reviewing. To give you our honest opinion about which is the Best Paring Knife of 2021. We invited some home cooks and professional chefs to join us while testing to give you a high-quality review so you can pick the right one for yourself. So let’s start with the first knife!
1 – Kuhn Rikon COLORI Non-Stick Straight Paring Knife (Best Pick 🥇)
The Kuhn Rikon Chef’s Knife is a great option for the sharpness it offers. It comes in clear shading alternatives, with a sharp cutting edge. There is a decent bend for a successful movement while slashing. The non-slip covering is helpful to anticipate develop on the cutting edge. Weight is required to slice through meat, and the handles straight sliced makes it clumsy to hold. It is likewise cutting edge substantial and has no heel watch for wellbeing. The non-stick covering can check effectively with scratches and will show wear after some time.
- Comes with a safety sheath
- All purpose kitchen knife
- Blade length 4″
- Super lightweight
- Made from Japanese Stainless Steel
- Non-stick coating so the food doesn’t stick to the knife
- Safe to carry with you or to store in your kitchen because of the safety sheath
- Dishwasher safe
- Very sharp and well made
- Only a 2-year warranty, while a lot of the alternatives have a lifetime warranty
2 – Wüsthof Classic High Carbon Steel Paring Knife
This paring blade from Wusthof is a fine case of German craftsmanship. The organization, with more than 200 years of experience, has enhanced its assembling procedure to create remarkable blades. They previously discharged this paring blade in 2015 to make cutting agreeable and simple. It tends to be utilized for cutting or stripping little vegetables or mincing modest quantities of nourishment easily with its reasonable weight circulation. This item is for everybody who needs to make the littlest kitchen undertakings basic and easy. The blade is 3.5 inches long, which implies it tends to be utilized on little foods grown from the ground.
It fits easily on any cleaving load up and, subsequently, can be joined into any essential or expert level kitchen. This top-notch designed blade from Wusthof is appropriate for being utilized by any individual who adores getting ready and preparing nourishment, from fledglings to master gourmet experts. The blade arrives in a hard cardboard box, and care has been taken to bundle the blade, so there is no danger of it moving inside the container, in this manner guaranteeing it doesn’t slice through it while in travel. The bundle additionally incorporates a plastic tip protect. However, a total edge monitor isn’t given.
- Made from high carbon stainless steel
- Riveted ergonomic handle
- Full tang
- Lifetime warranty
- 3.5″ blade length
- Hand forged
- Very comfortable to hold and easy to handle
- Extremely sharp cutting edge
- It’s by far the sharpest paring knife of this top 10
- Easy to sharpen
- Great edge retention
- Not suitable for bigger tasks
- Hand wash only to maintain the quality
3 – Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Four Star Paring knife
A decent blade is a lifetime luxury. The Zwilling J.A. Henckels blade line has put quality, capacity, taking care of, and exactness into each blade they manufacture. The Four-Star Series blades have a consistent change from the reinforce to the handle, making it simple to utilize. The Four-Star blades are genuinely light and well-adjusted. The Zwilling J.A. Henckels Four Star 4″ Paring Knife is an exceptionally valuable and sturdy paring blade for your kitchen. The ideal geometry and sharpness of the cutting edge assist with stripping all round vegetables and natural products effortlessly. Utilize this paring blade to expel the frame from strawberries, expel seeds from a pepper, strip apple skins, and substantially more.
- Made in Germany
- Stainless Steel
- Forged from a single piece of steel
- Ice-hardened to make it extra sharp and to maintain its sharpness for a longer period
- Ergonomic polypropylene handle
- 57 Rockwell Hardness
- Lifetime warranty
- Made from high-quality materials and is extremely sharp
- Most durable knife of this top 10
- Your hand won’t slip off the knife due to its non-slip handle
- Well balanced
- The quality is worth the price difference
- The knife can look and feel a little bit cheap due to the chrome and because it’s so lightweight
4 – Mac Knife PKF-30 Professional Paring knife
Mac Knife PKF-30 is a utility blade. You can utilize it for stripping and exactness paring. The pointed tip is an additional favorable position. It offers an extremely sharp edge for perfect cutting. Made with the best quality steel, the blade can hold the sharpness of the cutting edge for long. The knife is made with a non-slip wooden handle that you can hold quiet. The sharp edge is made in such a size; that is anything but difficult to control and achieve various undertakings of stripping and paring in the kitchen. It is a reasonable blade that you can utilize securely regardless of your aptitude level. Need to utilize a generally useful blade that is phenomenal for paring? You can attempt Mac Knife PKF-30 Professional Paring Knife for its flexibility.
- Edge of just 2mm
- Made from best quality Japanese steel
- PakkaWood handle
- Made in Japan
- Comes in a nice box
- Very easy to use and loved by the professional chef
- Rust resistant
- Very lightweight which makes it a very comfortable knife
- Expert quality knife for a suitable price
- Hand wash only, not dishwasher safe
5 – Global GS38 Western Style Stainless Steel Paring Knife
Paring and stripping is a muddled activity if you are a newbie. However, with Global GS38 Paring Knife, you will think that it’s simple and fun. It is made of the best quality hardened steel sharp edge to offer you long and bother free help. The edge of the blade is made of best quality CROMOVA 18 Stainless Steel. The edge is uncommonly made by ice solidifying: its arched edge can hold its consistent sharpness longer. Tedious assignments like cutting, hacking, coring, and stripping will be simpler with this blade.
- Ergonomic handle
- Suitable for vegetables and other natural products, yet you can also strip and center medium-sized food
- No-slip grip
- Ideal for ordinary kitchen tasks
- Holding the blade is never a problem for your hand, it is easy to hold and carry out your paring precisely
- Very lightweight
- The no-slip grip gives great comfort for your hand
- Very sharp out of the box
- Easy to sharpen
- The handle can be too small for people with big hands
- Becomes dull quite fast
6 – Victorinox Paring Knife
You may be acquainted with the Victorinox name from their extremely famous Swiss armed force blades. However, they likewise make kitchen blades. This one has a 3.25-inch since quite a while ago serrated sharp edge produced using European hardened steel that is ideal for slicing through leafy foods with an extreme skin and sensitive substance, similar to tomatoes or plums. The short cutting edge and longer handle give you precise cuts regardless of how you grasp it. The handle is produced using rosewood, which is normally overwhelming and breaks safely. This blade ought to be washed by hand but is also dishwasher proof.
- Made in Switzerland
- Very simple knife
- 3 1/4″ blade
- Black nylon handle
- The knife doesn’t slip when wet
- Dishwasher proof
- Victorinox quality
- If you think looks are important, this is not the knife for you
7 – Tojiro DP 3.5-inch Paring Knife
Japanese blades are known for their sharpness and accuracy, and this paring blade is a genuine case of why. The edge has three layers of metal, with hardened steel outwardly to oppose rust and consumption. The point and state of the 3.5-inch long cutting edge (called a sheepsfoot-style sharp edge) are not equivalent to what you’ll discover on run of the mill paring blades. However, clients found that it was anything but difficult to become accustomed to and was entirely agreeable to utilize when cutting. This blade arrives in a case that can be utilized for capacity. Hand washing is suggested.
- VG-10 Core inside of two layers of rust resistant stainless steel
- 60 Rockwell Hardness
- Triple Riveted Handle
- Made in Japan
- Lifetime Warranty
- 3.5″ blade
- Extremely sharp
- Easy to maneuver
- Paring is super easy due to the unique profile of the knife
- Ideal for fine details
- The handle is very small, so for people with big hands the handle won’t be comfortable
- Quite expensive
8 – ZYLISS Paring Knife with Sheath Cover
This spending paring blade accompanies its very own sheath, so it’s ideal for hurling into the cookout bushel, tucking into the fishing supply container with angling apparatus, or taking to work with your lunch. While it’s a fine blade at the cost, it’s cheap enough that on the off chance that you lose it, you can supplant it without a lot of tension. Even though you won’t spend a great deal on this blade, regardless, it has highlights you’ll appreciate. The 3.5-inch carbon steel cutting edge holds its edge well and is anything but difficult to re-hone when required.
The handle has delicate elastic embeds, so it’s anything but difficult to cling to, regardless of whether you’re stripping under running water, and it gives an agreeable grasp too. The sheath shields the blade from knocks and scratches, regardless of where you store it, and it shields your hands from inadvertent pokes when you venture into the cabinet for a peeler. While this blade is dishwasher safe, hand washing is suggested.
- Carbon stainless steel blade
- Ergonomic handle with a soft rubber grip
- Sheath cover to protect the knife while carrying it around
- 5 Year Zyliss Guarantee
- 3.5″ blade
- Dishwasher proof but recommended to hand wash only
- Great cutting edge
- Very cheap for what you get
- Cheap look
9 – Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Revolution Series Paring Knife
With regards to fired blades, Kyocera is one of the noticeable brands, on account of their long history with a wide range of artistic items. This Kyocera paring blade is entirely reasonable and extremely sharp. Instead of a progressively common point tip, this edge has an adjusted tip that is more averse to break. It has a dark formed handle (albeit comparable blades from this organization are accessible in different hues) that is agreeable to hold. The 3-inch long edge is a flawless white shading and is produced using an exclusive zirconia material in Japan that is very hard, which keeps the blade sharp for quite a while.
The sharp artistic edge likewise can’t be influenced by acids, oils, or salts, and it will never rust, erode, or recolor. When honing is vital, the blade can be sent to Kyocera, or honed with an apparatus that is explicitly made for sharp clay edges. While sharp earthenware edges are extremely hard, they are additionally weak, so this ought not to be utilized for exceptionally hard or solidified nourishments, or for prying around bones.
- Advanced ceramic blade
- 3″ blade
- Rust proof
- Resistant to acid
- Ideal for beginners, it’s really easy to use and maintain
- The ceramic blade keeps its sharpness very long
- Lightweight so you won’t get tired while using this knife
- It doesn’t have a sharp tip
10 – Shun Premier Paring Knife
Shun is known for premium blades, and this 4-inch paring blade is no exemption. It has a layered Damascus steel sharp edge with a hand-pounded finish that diminishes drag when you’re cutting and keeps nourishment from adhering to the edge. The handle is produced using PakkaWood and is molded to give an agreeable grasp. While it is dishwasher safe, hand-washing and air drying are prescribed. Since these blades are hand made, the real length of the edge can differ between 3.75 to 4 inches in length.
- Handcrafted Japanese paring knife
- Made from layered Damascus steel
- Premium handle made from PakkaWood
- Lifetime warranty
- 4″ blade length
- The hammered finish makes sure that the food doesn’t stick to the blade while cutting
- Dishwasher proof but we recommend you wash it by hand to keep the quality as high as possible
- Exceptionally agile while handling
- Quite expensive, but a real addition for the Japanese knives lover
What is a Paring Knife used for?
The paring blade gets its name from its job. Paring primarily intends to remove the external surface or to remove the endpoints from fruit or vegetable. This blade, at that point, is utilized to expel the outer strips or layers from fruits or vegetables and to trim and set them up additionally.
Even though obviously, you can strip numerous types of fruits & vegetables with a peeler, envision attempting to peel, for instance, a tomato, orange, or even a grape with one. The troublesome undertaking of expelling the external strip of onion without putting extra effort is made simpler with a paring blade.
The ordinary paring blade has a short, solid, sharp edge, from 2 to 4 inches long, which a straight or bent forefront. They are light-weight and simple to hold in the hand while working with food items. On the off chance that you have only a bit of cutting to do on chicken or meat, a paring blade will work for this, as well.
Some of the time, the culinary expert’s knife is too large to do delicate tasks with accuracy. A lightweight blade you can grasp can have a significant effect. Take, for example,e, cutting around the center of a peach or avocado. You are more averse to cut yourself on the off chance that you utilize a paring blade rather than an enormous massive and substantial blade,
Other than the above undertakings, paring blades prove to be useful for the accompanying employments:
- deveining shrimp
- expelling seeds and layers from chiles
- cutting cheddar or restored hotdogs like salami or pepperoni
- cutting corn pieces off a cob
- expelling the eyes from a potato without evacuating a lot of skin
- scratching out vanilla beans
What types of Paring Knives are there?
When you search for a paring knife, you’ll generally have a choice of four different types:
- Spear point/spear tip paring knife
- Bird’s beak paring knife
- Sheep’s foot paring knife
- Western-style Japanese paring knife
Paring blades will, in general, come in two distinct sizes, a 3 to 4-inch sharp edge and a 2 to the 3-inch edge. The shorter bladed models have a bent cutting edge and are here, and they’re called a “bird peak knife” paring blade. Owning both is perfect, yet if you need to pick only one, go with a more curved out bent edge if you additionally need to have the option to utilize the blade on a cutting board, similarly as with cutting back little bits of excess from poultry or meat, or only for cutting vegetables, and so forth., should you decide to do as such.
Stay away from an excessively adjusted cutting edge, in any case, and a tip that is turned up at a sharp edge, as this will make utilizing the purpose of the blade hard for coring or hulling. In spite of the fact that it is conceivable to get paring blades with sharp edges up to 5 inches, most will presumably incline toward a cutting edge in the 3 to 3.5-inch go.
A straight sharp edge can be better for specific hand-held assignments as long as the edge is flawlessly straight, you can utilize them on a cutting board, as you will most likely never utilize a bent paring blade in a shaking movement as you may with a Japanese chef’s knife. Other than the exemplary styles suggested above, which have sharp edges that are not excessively adjusted, there are numerous decisions in straight-cutting edges, for example, Santoku styles, empty edge edges, and various tips, both appropriate for explicit cutting assignments. Barely any home cooks should over-think the paring knife, in any case, and one of the cutting edge works of art, prescribed above and appropriate for all-around use, will suit the majority of us fine and dandy.
Factors to consider when buying a paring knife – Buying Guide
Picking the best paring knife for the kitchen isn’t troublesome. There is high-caliber, and there is likewise low quality. It is likewise an important tool in your kitchen since day by day. You will use it for various tasks. It will be your accomplice with regards to setting up your cooking style. That is the reason it is essential to discover a paring knife that isn’t simply tough yet additionally has quality, open to dealing with and some more.
- Put the focus on your primary requirements
- Understand the different type of knives and their functions
- Consider the type of food you will cook most of the time
- Understand caring knife process
- Check your hold & grip
FAQ’s regarding best Paring Knife
A perfect paring knife should be extremely sharp with a pointed tip.
This knife is generally used with other main chef line and use for primary two purposes, i.e., peeling & endpoint removing.
7 inch paring size knife is the best for the majority of the people.
The Final Verdict
The Kuhn Rikon Colori Paring Knife is a great option for the sharpness it offers. It comes in striking shading alternatives, with a sharp cutting edge is sharp. There is a decent bend for a successful cut while slashing. The non-slip covering is valuable to avert slip on the sharp edge. Weight is required to slice through meat, and the handles straight sliced makes it ungainly to hold. It is likewise cutting edge essential and has no safeguard for security.
David Clarke is one of the most active authors for KnivesExpert. He has been working as a professional chef for 8 years now. In his spare time he is always looking for new tastes which he can use in his restaurant. David is also a real knife enthousiast and he only wants to use the best of the best. The search for the best knife resulted in the start of Knivesexpert!