Whether you are a professional chef or a homemaker, you would never skip the right decision for selecting a multi-functional knife for your kitchen. Most of you are already aware of the Santoku knives, which are the best knives available in the market nowadays. From chopping to cubing, all you need is a sharp and handy knife that gives ease while handling different foods and vegetables. A knife is required to perform three major tasks i.e., chopping, mincing, and dicing. These three virtues are used as a single term ‘Santoku.’ The Santoku is a Japanese term that means three virtues as it applies to the uses of a knife.
It’s wrong to think that the primary kitchen tasks can be quickly done with traditional knives. For different cooking tasks, you need knives with different sharpness. Here comes the use of Santoku knives that can be beneficial in:
- Cutting meat
- Slicing, chopping or dicing fruits, vegetables, and nuts
- Creating fine slices for vegetables and seafood
- Slicing cheese
- Mincing meat or herbs
- Scooping food off a cutting board due to wide blade
- Top 10 Best Santoku Knife of 2021
- 1 – Shun Cutlery Premier 7” (Best Pick 🥇)
- 2 – DALSTRONG Santoku Knife Shogun Series
- 3 – Zwilling J.A. Henckels 31120-183 Professional S Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
- 4 – Tojiro DP Santoku 6.7”
- 5 – Mac Knife SK-65 Superior Santoku Knife
- 6 – Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Santoku Knife
- 7 – Misono UX10 Santoku 7.0
- 8 – Global G48 7″ Santoku Hollow Ground Knife
- 9 – Mercer Culinary Renaissance 7-Inch Forged Santoku Knife
- 10 – ZHEN Japanese VG-10 Hammered 67 Layers Damascus Steel Santoku Chef Knife
- How Is A Santoku Knife Different From A Chef’s Knife?
- How To Sharpen A Santoku Knife?
- FAQ regarding best Santoku Knife
- Final Verdict
Top 10 Best Santoku Knife of 2021
There are a lot of different Santoku knives on the market. But which of them is the best santoku knife of 2021. Our experts selected 10 of the best Santoku knives our there and have put them to the test. So without further ado let’s head right into our top 10 to find out which knife is crowned as the best Santoku knife of 2021!
1 – Shun Cutlery Premier 7” (Best Pick 🥇)
This Asian-inspired Knife is going to be your favorite as it comes with a fantastic finish and smooth handle for cutting operations. This Knife is specially handcrafted in Japan, supported with the PakkaWood handle that gives it better strength and capability to perform at its best. Its smooth and sharp finishing makes it the perfect product for cutting, chopping, dicing, slicing, mincing, cubing, or trimming.
Evade Premier 7 Inch Santoku Knife is accessible in 7 inches and five creeps for progressively exact tasks. In any case, this 7-inch form of this blade is ideal for working with fruits & vegetables. The Damascus steel sharp edge of this blade would be sufficient yet has been made considerably more robust and increasingly tough through a producing and pounding process. The edge is sufficiently wide to ship cleaved food items from the slicing spot to the pot, container, or dish contingent.
- VG-Max Cutting Core
- Double Bevel (16 Degree each side)
- PakkaWood Handle
- Magnificent Tsuchime Finish
- Premier Handle
- Razor Sharp
- Free sharpening
- The PakkaWood Handle offers a comfortable grip
- High-quality Damascus stainless steel blade
- The Shun brand offers free sharpening for as long as you own the knife
- The knife works good for left handed users as well as right-handed users
- Multipurpose knife
- Some users have witnessed unnatural breakage from this knife, with cracks in different places
- Comes without a sheath or a box
- Not dishwasher safe
2 – DALSTRONG Santoku Knife Shogun Series
This Dalstrong culinary Knife is a smart combination of cutting-edge technology and professional craftsmanship. Above all, you get this knife at an affordable price. Dalstrong Shogun Series Santoku blade comes in two unique sizes, 5 and 7 inches. Also, it is produced using forged Japanese hardened steel that is known to be truly tough and dependable gave great consideration is taken of the knife. Additionally, the blade is valued reasonably satisfactorily, particularly when you consider its preeminent quality and execution capacity. Loads of clients and expert gourmet specialists have utilized this blade and believe it to be extraordinary compared to other Santoku cuts presently available. Unfortunately, as with the santoku blade above, you should be extremely cautious concerning how you hone and clean it since Japanese steel is solid; however, it can consume or rust very quickly.
- It comes with an ultra-sharp AUS-10V Japanese super steel cutting core
- Finished to a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side
- Comes with edge retention at 62+ Rockwell
- 67-Layered Damascus sharpened using 3-step Honbazuke method
- Sharp & Accurate
- Easy to Clean
- This Knife comes with a 100% money-back guarantee
- If you are planning to gift to your mother or a culinary student, this is a perfect gift option
- It has an Ultra-premium G-10 handle that gives better handling during all weather conditions
- It is Nitrogen cooled to provide corrosion resistance
- The smooth and handcrafted handle is capable of confronting heat, moisture, offering better hold to the Knife
- The customers’ complain that the knife broke after a small period of use
- In some cases, the knife even chips at the edges, making it unfriendly to use any further
- Not solid grip
- Not dishwasher safe
3 – Zwilling J.A. Henckels 31120-183 Professional S Hollow Edge Santoku Knife
This 7-inch stainless steel knife is a German-made product that is made of a single piece of steel. It comes with two sizes i.e., 5-inch and 7-inch. In case you’re a culinary expert, you’ll instinctually go for this Professional “S” exemplary kitchen blade. It is made of marked high-carbon hardened steel of uncommon recipe, consummated for around three centuries. This, joined with Zwilling’s select ice-solidifying procedure, results in Friodur edges that are harder, more sharper, and neither one of the chips, stain nor recolor yet hold their edge for more. It is tempered to 57 Rockwell Hardness, which offers wonderful edge maintenance. Honed and hand-wrapped up by highly gifted skilled workers, this seven-inch blade has a particularly sharp that is laser-controlled.
The powerful reinforce gives the perfect equalisation and assumes the job of the finger guard. Fashioned consummately from one hunk of steel, the blade offers ideal equalisation. It is ergonomically intended for safe taking care of. It is the choice of expert culinary specialists everywhere throughout the world. Its oval cut impacts on the edge take into consideration cutting ultra-slender cuts that don’t stick to the sharp edge. With this Santoku blade, you can utilise it with incredible flexibility to mince, cut, and cleave meat and vegetables. On the off chance that you have little hands, you will encounter better-cutting control like the length of its edge is short. Its width enables you to slide cleaved vegetables from the cutting load up into the dish.
- German-made knife
- Made from a single piece of steel
- Laser controlled edge gives more strength to the blade and lasts longer
- The two sizes make it comfortable for people with small and big hands
- Cutting edge retention for decades
- This Knife comes with a lifetime warranty by J.A Henckels
- It is made of a single piece of steel, avoiding the tapering or layer-removal issues
- Laser technology used for edging makes it reliable for decades to come
- Its weight is about 8 ounces that makes it a lightweight knife for everyday use
- Super grip
- This Knife isn’t safe to wash in a dishwasher as it may result in corrosion and or rust
- With time the customers have experienced that the knife loses its sharpness
- In some products, even the unattended workmanship can be seen
4 – Tojiro DP Santoku 6.7”
This Tojiro DP Santoku knife comes with standard and conventional design with complete strain resistance assurance. It is a 6.7-inch knife that makes it worth the use for various purposes. This Japan made knife is a more suitable option if you need a standard design for your day to day kitchen activities. The Tojiro knife comes with precise finishing on its body, which is not present in other similar priced alternatives.
With the Tojiro DP, you get more than its incentive in cash. Indeed, it is viewed as the best spending plan Santoku blade today. Made of stain-safe steel, it has a VG10 cutting center. It is known for its razor sharpness and prevalent strength. It is tempered at 60 on the Rockwell scale. Tojiro DP Santoku 6.7″ has a sharp edge that renders it ideal for proficient use. Moreover, it is even-edged, which makes it ideal for use by both hands. It is best honed at a point of 15″-16″. Its solid eco-wood handles offer more prominent protection from water than conventional wood. They are additionally excellent to hold for a long time.
- Encompass a weight of 6.9 ounces
- Completely stainless steel product
- Plastic handle
- Nicely Balanced
- Extremely Comfortable
- Nicely Crafted
- Good price for Beginners
- Compared to other alternatives, this Tojiro DP knife is lightweight
- Easily get rusted
- Not superbly sharp
- Simple design
5 – Mac Knife SK-65 Superior Santoku Knife
Another made in Japan product came into our selection list of top 10 Santoku knives. Users of this blade will vouch for its curiously sharp edge, 2.5 mm thick, its unrivaled quality, the front line innovation behind it, the life span of the edge, and weight. No big surprise, it is frequently known as the best Santoku blade of 2021. For some, it is their “go-to cut” that can without much of a stretch be sharpened. It’s underneath zero tempered steel holds its edge much better than customary steel. It is 6.5″ long.
This is flawlessly adjusted and is at the correct weight, truth to be told, it is lightweight and preferable to move over its European partners. It is sharp to such an extent that it would be best whenever prepared culinary experts utilized it, as opposed to fledglings, as they may cut themselves. The handle is made of Pakkawood, which keeps the blade handle intense under troublesome conditions. This blade is stamped, simple to hone yet isn’t dishwasher safe. It is made in Japan, which is an indication of its predominant quality.
- 2mm rust-resistant blade is provided for the sharp cutting experience.
- It is made out of high-quality carbon
- It offers a Razor-sharp edge
- The knife comes with PakkaWood handle
- The knife is made in Japan
- Amazingly Balanced
- Perfect fit for small hands
- The PakkaWood handle gives better hold during heat, cold, and moisture
- The dishwasher can’t be used to wash this knife
- It weighs more than the alternatives
6 – Victorinox Swiss Army Cutlery Fibrox Pro Santoku Knife
Slicing, dicing, or mincing, whatever is your requirement, this knife can serve your entire needs. It is provided with Granton Edge that prevents the food from sticking to it. Its Fibrox Pro handle makes it comfortable to handle. The Victorinox Swiss Classic Santoku Knife was picked as one of the best five because of its one of a kind handle structure. Not exclusively is the ergonomic handle, yet it is finished and slip-impervious to guarantee a firm grasp and fine command over any cutting, dicing, and mincing you may do. The blade is likewise very lightweight at 4.6 ounces, making it fantastic to deal with during food preparation. The blade is all around adjusted, and keeping in mind that the sharp edge probably won’t be too fabricated as a part of its alternatives, it is an exceptional blade that will perform well in the kitchen.
- 7-inch stainless steel blade
- Crafted in Switzerland
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee against material defects
- It can be used for dicing, mincing, chopping, slicing, and shredding
- Granton Edge prevents the food from sticking to the knife
- Fibrox Pro handle
- The Fibrox Pro handle ergonomic, slip-safe handle for better control
- Granton Edges works well while using
- Its weight is 4.8 ounces, which makes it lightweight over other alternatives
- Granton cutting edge woodwinds to keep nourishment from adhering to the sharp edge
- Dishwasher safe
- To keep their knife work for long, you need to wash it with hand and dry immediately afterward
- It needs to be sharpened after a couple of uses
- The packaging doesn’t contain sheath or any box
7 – Misono UX10 Santoku 7.0
Another masterpiece in our top 10 Santoku Knives list is the Misono UX10 Santoku, a 7-inch knife. It comes with a standard design to focus more on quality instead of its looks. Maybe you know about the Misono Japanese Knives. The Kyoto organization is acclaimed for mixing the trademark sharpness of the Japanese cutting edge with the long edge maintenance of the western kitchen blades. Misono offers a wide cluster of high-value Japanese kitchen blades for a wide range of purposes, from conventional sushi and sashimi blades for cutting fish to Gyuto blades for cutting meat. A somewhat mainstream blade in the Misono family is the Ux10 7 inch Santoku, hence the accompanying sections from here on will concentrate on the utilizations, the points of interest and burdens these kinds of kitchen blades have.
Santoku is a word that means three ethics. This means the blade was intended to complete three purposes, cutting, dicing, and cleaving. As indicated by the Kyoto organization, these Japanese gourmet specialist blades speak to Misono’s most excellent stain safe arrangement. This Knife includes a 70/30 slant for a better edge and expanded execution. Furthermore, what makes this blade so reasonable for a home cook is that the Swedish steel used to manufacture this blade permits an incredible simplicity of sharpening capacity just as extraordinary edge maintenance. Likewise, one of a kind to this UX10 Series blade is the knuckle reinforcement, which is bolted instead of welded, this causes the sharp edge to get steady all through, which gives a greater kitchen blade.
- Made of Swedish stain-resistant steel
- Used riveted nickel silver bolster
- It is an all-purpose knife
- 70:30 Asymmetrical bevel
- To sharpen this knife, you can easily use a medium grid stone
- This knife can be used to accomplish your basic kitchen activities like chopping, cutting, slicing, etc.
- It is made of Swedish Stain-Resistant Steel that offers longevity to the knife without failing to serve your needs for years
- This knife has 12 ounces of weight, which makes it heavy over other options
- It is specially built for right-handed users. So, it won’t work for left-handed users
- Its conventional design somewhere distracts the buyers to other options available with advanced designs and sharp-edges
- Not for beginners
8 – Global G48 7″ Santoku Hollow Ground Knife
When you need a high-tech all-purpose knife for your day to day purposes, you can’t forget to consider the Global G48 7-inch Santoku knife with the hollow ground. It is a one-piece knife that doesn’t have a handle as an additional attachment. It tends to be utilized for cutting meat, vegetable, and fish. The blade has an empty ground edge permitting compelling detachment of nourishment from the sharp edge.
Worldwide blades are special due to their sharp edge and how they are adjusted. Most of the Global blades are honed or ground on the two sides of the cutting edge like western style blades. Be that as it may, their edge sharpening method is different from the normal process, which keeps the edge sharp for a longer duration. To adjust their blades, Global uses an empty handle, which is then loaded up with the perfect measure of sand to make the right parity.
Global uses this strategy as opposed to utilizing a solid handle and a support to adjust their blades for two reasons. To start with, it is unmistakably more exact than utilizing tang and support. Second, Asian blades commonly don’t have supports, since they just fill in as prevention to cutting and honing. Global blades are produced using the best high carbon tempered steel accessible for creating proficient quality kitchen blades.
- All-purpose 7-inch hollow-ground Santoku knife
- Made of high-tech molybdenum/vanadium Stainless steel
- Long taper face-ground
- Stainless-steel handle
- Made in Japan
- Slip-resistant hollow handle
- It can be used for chopping, dicing, and slicing
- It has a long taper face-ground that provides sharpness for years to come
- Its Stainless steel handle is the point of attraction that is molded specially to bestow comfort and safe grip
- Its hollow weighted handle is perfect to hold the knife without facing slippery issues
- Regular use doesn’t cause fatigue in your hand
- People with palm sweat may face problems holding the knife during the summer
- The price is a bit high as compared to its quality
- For some people, its stainless steel handle may be problematic to pursue their kitchen tasks smoothly
9 – Mercer Culinary Renaissance 7-Inch Forged Santoku Knife
The Mercer Culinary 7-inch knife is a better option if you are looking for a professional product from the vast catalog. It is one of the best Santoku knives that you can buy for your household tasks. This 7-inch cutting blade includes a triple-bolted, ergonomically planned handle. This knife is made of high-quality carbon, no-recolor cutlery steel, which opposes rust erosion just as staining. For expanded proficiency when cutting or cleaving, the decrease ground edge considers included strength just as simple sharpening and durable sharpness.
Experts of all exchanges from drywall to ground surface modern and car seek Mercer for its full line of innovatively propelled prevalent quality and durable reinforced and covered abrasives and jewel sharp edges just as its overlay and mechanical records. Predominant high carbon no-stain German steel. One-piece completely manufactured development. Triple-bolted ergonomically planned POM handle. Abbreviated support takes into consideration simple re-sharpening. The solid handle gives unrivaled parity. NSF guaranteed.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Ergonomically designed Delrin handle
- Rounded spine
- One-piece precision forged construction
- High-carbon stainless steel
- Taper ground edge
- NSF Certified
- This Santoku knife comes in different sizes, starting from 2.5 inches to 11-inch. So, you can choose as per your requirement.
- The rounded spine gives comfort grip and expels fatigue on your palm during long hour’s usage.
- Its taper-ground edge gives better stability to work on different foods without slipping.
- The sharpness of this knife doesn’t last for long
- Handling gives a similar experience as provided by some Victorinox Fibrox knives
10 – ZHEN Japanese VG-10 Hammered 67 Layers Damascus Steel Santoku Chef Knife
Last, but not the least in our list is the ZHED Japanise VG-10 Hammered Santoku knife which is highly recommended by renowned chefs. Its sharp edges and double tone pakkawood handle makes it an impressive competitor over other options. This ZHEN Damascus Steel blade is widely used for cutting, dicing, and mincing meat. It consists of ultra-sharp edges which do not allow stains to form on their surface. Its solid grip comes with pakkawood, which provides its non-slip properties. This knife is simple to clean & waterproof. This knife comes with a handmade box, which makes it a suitable gift for any occasion. You should not chop bone or any other hard material to keep the edge sharpness for a longer time. With its amazing balance, it is perfectly fine for the entry-level user as well. The cleaning process is handwashing and drying with clothes.
- Made with Japanese 67-layer Hammered Damascus Steel
- Brown color Pakkawood handle
- It can be used for versatile purposes including dicing, slicing, and mincing meat, fruit, and vegetables
- The extreme heat technology used for its manufacturing made it functional for long
- Its VG-10 67-layer makes it sturdy for all cooking tasks and comfortable to hold the food
- Exceptional strength and stain resistance
- Long-lasting sharp edge
- Comes with a gift box
- This knife won’t work with bones. It is strictly instructed
How Is A Santoku Knife Different From A Chef’s Knife?
It is a common question that every individual ask before buying one of the best Santoku knives for their day to day tasks. Below is the detailed list that differentiates the two types of knives.
- Origin: The most significant difference between the two knife types is their origin. A Santoku knife was originated in Japan, whereas the Chef’s knife was originated in Germany.
- Blade Type: The Santoku knife has a wide sheepfoot blade, without any tip. On the other hand, Chef’s knife has a broad blade that curves to the top and makes its tip.
- Thickness: The standard difference in terms of thickness between the two is that Santoku knives are thinner than Chef’s knife.
- Weight: The Santoku knives are lighter to hold as compared to Chef’s knife.
- Size: The Santoku Knives are most commonly available within the size range of 5”-7.9”. On the other hand, Chef’s knives are available in the size range of 6” to 12”.
How To Sharpen A Santoku Knife?
Another significant hurdle people get generally stuck with is the sharpening of Santoku knives. Opting a whetstone is the best way to sharpen your knife. Buying a whetstone comes with the instruction manual that you should never skip. The basic instructions that every individual must follow to sharpen a Santoku knife include:
- Soak the whetstone in water
- Tilt the knife from the coarse side
- Smoothly run the knife up & down on the stone
- Make sure you reach tip to tow of the knife for better sharpness
- Once done on one side, repeat the same procedure on the other side of the knife
- Wash it
Also, constantly dry the blade utilizing a towel directly after the wash and never leave the blade to dry individually in a utensil cup. Also, you should sew a unique sheath or purchase a blade putting away the box if the blade was purchased without these.
Ultimately, consistently check what sort of sharpeners your specific Santoku blade requires because regular sharpeners intended for Western culinary expert blades won’t work with Santoku blades.
FAQ regarding best Santoku Knife
The Santoku knives are given dimples to avoid slipping while operating on different types of foods and vegetables. They are small in size, near the edge. These dimples reduce the friction while cutting and allow the knife to come out smoothly from the food. The standard knife doesn’t hold the food well, which results in abnormal slices.
The Santoku knives are available from the size range of 5” to 7.99”. However, among all the available sizes, 7” size is most demanded by the people as it fits best to people with small as well as people with big hands.
Undoubtedly, Santoku knives can easily slice the meat. However, you need to ensure it doesn’t work on the bones. So, before using the knives, you should separate bones from the meat.
Now, coming to the crucial part of this content, which is the best Santoku knife that you should consider for your kitchen? The verdict is that the top performer of the list is the Shun Cutlery Premier 7” Santoku Knife.
The strong reason behind its consideration as the best Santoku knife is its supreme quality that comes with VG-10 32 Layer Damascus steel. Along with its excellent performance, it also looks premium with the use of Pakkawood handle. The handle is smartly handcrafted to fit into your hand and operate any food or vegetable. Its stunning edge finishing is one more reason why we have considered it in our top list. So, it is our pick from the list of top 10 Santoku knives.
If you’re looking for a complete set you should visit our reviews on the best knife sets under $100!