We have gone through many kinds of knives, but here we are only focusing on Swiss knives. These are also known as pocket knives or multi-tool knives. The most well-known are the Swiss Army Knives manufactured by Victorinox. After World War II, American soldiers invented the name Swiss knife. With multi-tool we mean the screwdrivers, spear point blade, and a can opener, which this Swiss knife has. All these tools are stored inside the handle of the knife. Swiss army knife is usually in a traditional red color. In modern western culture, Swiss knives are going as the iconic stature. Having a Swiss Army knife means that you always have a multi-tool by hand. Whenever you need a magnifying glass to read the fine print or a metal saw to cut through iron, then the Swiss Army knife will have your back. These small and compact knives composed of many tools in one compound unit have got a long history and their manufacturer has a great history as well. There are various Swiss knives available, but find out here which is the Best Swiss Army knife of 2020.
- Top 10 Best Swiss Army Knives of 2020
- 1 – Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool Huntsman Pocket Knife (Best Pick 🥇)
- 2 – Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool, SwissChamp Pocket Knife
- 3 – Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss tool multi-tool: this army Swiss multi-tool
- 4 – Victorinox Swiss army RangerGrip 58 hunter
- 5 – Victorinox Swiss army compact pocket knife
- 6 – Leatherman – Free T4 multi-tool and EDC pocket knife
- 7 – Victorinox Swiss army Signature Lite pocket knife
- 8 – Victorinox Swiss Army One-Hand Trekker Multi-Tool Pocket Knife
- 9 – Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool EvoGrip Pocket Knife
- 10 – Victorinox Swisscard Lite
- The origin of the Swiss army knife and Victorinox and Wenger
- Which types of Swiss knives are there?
- Buying Guide: How to pick the best Swiss Army Knife
- Frequently Asked Questions on Swiss army knives
- The Final Verdict
Top 10 Best Swiss Army Knives of 2020
We teamed up with several survival experts to help us find the best Swiss army knife. With their knowledge and expertise we were able to find, test and review these Swiss army knives to find the best one on the market today!
1 – Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool Huntsman Pocket Knife (Best Pick 🥇)
The Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool Huntsman Pocket Knife is one of the most iconic models of Victorinox. It comes with 15 different functions and comes in a wide range of different looks and colors. The knife is very compact but still has a lot of tools. the knife is made from high-quality stainless steel and comes with tools such as scissors, 2.45″ blade, bottle opener, saw, and screwdriver. This knife is perfect for daily use due to its compact size and extensive options.
- Wide range of 15 different tools
- Made in Switzerland
- Trusted quality
- Length: 3.6”
- Height: 0.8”
- Weight: 3.4 oz.
- One of the most icon models
- It’s very compact so you can easily take it anywhere
- Has the right tools for every occasion
- Comes in different looks
- Best overall buy
- No locking blade
2 – Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool, SwissChamp Pocket Knife
This multi-tool knife gives you a range of options in a single compound tool kit that makes it one of the best buys for the all in one buyer. It has 33 functional tools such as a screwdriver, a smooth bottle opener with screwdriver, efficient pliers, a corkscrew, and a fine edge blade. All these can help you either in your tracking trip or even in your daily life. As it is made of Swiss-made stainless steel with ABS casing, it makes it durable and safe. The knife is 91mm high weighting 6.5 o.z. All these options result in a good option in the sense of high durability, easily carryable, and multifunctional tool provider that can be used in a wide range of areas. However, being smaller in length means that the knife is limited in its usage for some heavier tasks.
- Made in Switzerland
- 33 different functionalities
- Length: 3.6”
- Height: 1.3”
- Weight: 6.5 oz
- Made from high quality Stainless Steel
- A lot of tools for its size
- Real multi-purpose knife which is perfect for going camping, hiking or backpacking
- The knife doesn’t have a locking blade
- Due to the small size of the tools, the knife has its limits on some heavier tasks
3 – Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss tool multi-tool: this army Swiss multi-tool
The Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Tool multi-tool has got the fame that attracts tough people. Being made in Switzerland, the prominent plier and small tools encased in the handles of the plier makes it a tri-end tool. 105mm long weighting 10.29 oz is the unique styled multi-tool containing plier, blade, opener, screwdriver and lots more. The prominent plier, scale, and shiny appearance make it one of the most popular knives. The multi-functionality of the tool with 27 different functions from 24 robust tools and stainless steel composition makes it multitasking, handy, and durable in the long run. The lifetime warranty is the superseding feature of the multi-tool. Being entirely made up of stainless steel, it lacks grip, which can make it slippery while working with the knife.
- 27 different functions
- Length: 4.13″
- Height: 0.71″
- Weight: 10.29 oz
- Made from Stainless Steel
- Made in Switzerland
- Includes a nylon belt pouch
- Lifetime warranty
- Tools can be opened individually and can be locked in place
- Due to its Stainless Steel grip, the knife can get slippery when it’s wet
4 – Victorinox Swiss army RangerGrip 58 hunter
The 130mm, 6.7 oz RangerGrip 58 hunter multi-tool knife has got an elegant body with an eye-catching superior grip. The shape of the knife makes is the best part. As the name signifies, the knife looks impressive in red texture and with a black rough hand grip. It contains 13 feature tools, including 3.9″ one-hand lock blade, Phillips screwdriver, 4.2″ double-cut wood saw, and 3.4″ cutting blade. It is made of stainless steel composition with durable casing. The double-colored and robust grip is the key feature of it. The knife has a got one-hand locking blade mechanism that makes it secure while using. The firm grip makes it best for the use of heavy tasks. Apart from that, the durability of stainless steel adds a star feather on its cap. The only thing that keeps it a step back is the limited functions i.e., 13 tools limit its features.
- 13 different tools of which a 3.9″ one-hand lock blade and a Phillips screwdriver
- Two-component handle with superior grip
- Length: 5.12″
- Weight: 6.7oz
- Made from Stainless Steel
- Lifetime guarantee against defects
- One-hand lock blade which makes it really easy and safe to handle
- Superior grip in all conditions
- Comes in very handy for the heavier jobs
- Can last a lifetime due to its high quality
- Easy to use with only one hand
- Only 13 tools which are significantly less than the other knives
- Not easy to use for a left-hander
5 – Victorinox Swiss army compact pocket knife
This shiny red metal-bodied Victorinox Swiss army compact pocket knife is a keychain style multi-tool in a red slime casing. It has a length of 91 mm, weighing 2.258 oz. The capsule-shaped tool can help in 15 ways as it has got a plier, corkscrew, bottle opener, large screwdriver, ballpoint pen, and eight functions more. The multi featuring tool has an attractive look that can be easily carried and used n camping, fishing, hiking, and even in household tasks. Encased in polished red ABS scale makes it durable and long-lasting and the lifetime guarantee makes it one of the favorites under the users. But it has fewer tools than the other knives which limit the efficiency of the knife.
- 15 functions
- Made from Stainless steel encased in red ABS scales makes it a very durable knife
- Compact size which makes it perfect for outdoor trips
- Length: 3.58”
- Height: .61”
- Weight: 2.258 oz.
- Small & very lightweight but still comes with 15 functions
- Lifetime warranty
- Durability due to the high-quality
- Doesn’t contain a mini screwdriver
6 – Leatherman – Free T4 multi-tool and EDC pocket knife
The Leatherman – Free T4 Multi-tool and EDC pocket knife is an outstanding metallic bodied one hand accessible tool that looks very attractive. The looks and the thickness give it a very tough look. The Leatherman – Free T4 multi-tool and EDC pocket knife is a bi-ended, freestyle tool made from stainless steel with 12 tools all made of thick composition. The tools consist of a 420HC knife, plier, screwdriver, and other tools. The dimensions of the knife are 6.1 x 3.4 x 1.5 inches, making it very handy. The attractive feature of the magnetic lock helps secure open tools in place while using. The stainless steel makes it durable and efficient in use. All the tools are located on its outside, which helps in opening and closing the tools with one hand. The magnetic lock lessens the friction and enhances efficiency.
- 12 tools designed for everyday problem solving
- 25-year Leatherman warranty
- The knife can be accessed with one hand
- Weight: 4.3 oz
- Length: 3.6”
- Height: 0.7”
- The magnetic one-hand opening works very good
- Easy to handle
- Handles well under heavier use
- Limited tool count
- Feels very thick
7 – Victorinox Swiss army Signature Lite pocket knife
The Signature Lite pocket knife has very attractive looks with a pearly appearance which can easily be attached to a keychain. The 58 mm long .85oz multi-tool is a Switzerland made stainless steel multi-tool containing seven functions along with having a flashlight. The polished ABS scales encasing and the lifetime guarantee are the best parts of the tool. Therefore, you don’t ever have to be afraid in case the knife breaks down. The tool’s attractive look gives it a step ahead of others. Red, sapphire, ruby and silver-tech textures raise the options for the buyer to choose the best one for him or her. The compact, less weighted tool’s flashlight makes it easy for the user to have good light while working in the dark or to see in small gaps. Its handy features and stainless steel composition also make it a great option for simple tasks. But having fewer functions is the only thing needed to be checked whether it goes up to the requirement of the user or not.
- 7 functions for everyday tasks
- Length: 2.283″
- Height: .472″
- Weight: .85oz
- Lifetime guarantee
- Contains a flashlight
- Contains a ballpoint pen
- The flashlight makes it perfect for tasks in places with little light
- Perfect as a keychain knife
- The knife comes without a battery
- The lever to push the pin back in is very vulnerable
8 – Victorinox Swiss Army One-Hand Trekker Multi-Tool Pocket Knife
The Victorinox Swiss Army One-Hand Trekker Multi-Tool Pocket Knife is a remarkably handy knife with a handgrip shaped body available in multicolor options. The knife comes with a one-hand serrated locking blade, Phillips screwdriver, bottle opener, and a wood saw and eight other functions. The stainless steel body with rugged polyamide scales gives the best grip to the user and provides friction while working tough tasks. The knife is 111 mm long and weighs 4.59 oz. Its looks, tough appearance, and capability to handle tough tasks makes it a good option. Along with that, the texture options come in the army looks, making it best for the tracker and campers. It is a cost-efficient option with stylish looks that makes it one of the best options.
- 12 functions
- Ergonomic grip
- Length: 4.37″
- Height: .71″
- Weight: 4.59oz
- Lifetime guarantee by Victorinox
- Made from Stainless Steel
- Good grip
- Very capable of handling tough jobs
- One-hand locking blade
- Best buy for outdoor activities
- Only 12 functions
- Often needs to be sharpened
9 – Victorinox Swiss Army Multi-Tool EvoGrip Pocket Knife
The trusted quality, Switzerland made, The Victorinox EvoGrip Pocket Knife has its trusted quality and is Switzerland made. This knife is a multi-tool and is one of the best tools as it comes with a wide range of options. The outer texture of the knife is a different color with a black grip to guarantee a strong grip while handling the knife. There is a variety of this pocket knife that buyers can opt for. Like the EvoGrip S54, it comes with many tools and a compass. While EvoGrip 10 comes with fewer tools that a person usually requires in daily life. The tool is encased in polished yellow and red ABS scales that provide excellent grip and perfect stability. The highlighting feature of this pocketknife is the range of options that it offers and the high quality.
- An everyday tool to saw wood or strip wire
- Made in Switzerland
- 15 functions and ergonomically designed two-component scales
- Including a lock blade and Phillips screwdriver
- Length: 3. 3”
- Height: 0.9”
- Weight: 3. 3 oz.
- Excellent grip & stability
- Lifetime warranty
- Wide variety of tools
- It has a plastic look and feel
10 – Victorinox Swisscard Lite
This card-shaped multi-tool is amazingly compact. With the size of a credit card, it easily fits in your wallet. The tool comes with a letter opener, scissors, tweezers, 3mm and 5mm flat-head screwdrivers, 2 Phillips screwdrivers, and a magnifying glass. The Victorinox Swisscard Lite’s dimensions are 2 x 2 x 2 inches and weigh 0.16 ounces. A mini flashlight feature puts it a step ahead of others. The pressurized ballpoint pen is another handy feature of it. Being so small, it is one of the most opted tools for as it provides many features in a slim body which can be carried easily in the wallet with other cards. Without occupying any extra pocket space.
- Creditcard sized
- 3mm and 5mm flat-head screwdrivers
- 2 Phillips screwdrivers
- LED mini flashlight
- Integrated ruler
- Super compact as it fits in your wallet
- Has the exact tools for the easy and quick tasks
- Doesn’t work well on bigger en tougher jobs
The origin of the Swiss army knife and Victorinox and Wenger
The Swiss army knife was first introduced in 1891. Karl Elsener was the company that later became Victorinox. This company won the contract to produce the Swiss army’s model 1890 knife from the previous German manufacturer. It’s originated in Ibach, Switzerland. In 1909, after the death of his mother, Karl Elserner named his company Victoria to honour his mother. Later, this company was acquired by its then general manager, Theodore Wenger. So the company was renamed as Wenger Company.
Which types of Swiss knives are there?
Because of the two companies producing Swiss army knives, there are actually two types of Swiss army knives. In 1908, the Swiss army decided to split its knife contracts, which bifurcated the production among Karl Elsener’s company and another half to Wenger company directed by Theodore Wenger. Talking about original Swiss army knives, Victorinox advertised their knives, as the original Swiss army knives, on the other hand, Wenger gave their knives the name” The Genuine Swiss Army Knives.” In 2005, Victorinox acquired Wenger again, retaining sole control over the Swiss army knives market.
Buying Guide: How to pick the best Swiss Army Knife
These days, knives are not just limited to the kitchens. They have several functions to perform from camping, tracking to the daily domestic task. The more diversified the knife, the best market value it provides. Swiss army knives are one of the most versatile pocket knives, but if we talk about the safety concern then it is much more than just a pocket knife, before buying a right Swiss army knife, two things should be considered:
- The situation for which you are using your Swiss army knife – if you are spending a lot of time outdoors, then be sure that your Swiss army knife has a big and solid blade. People who love traveling out of the country frequently chose a Swiss army knife that has a pair of scissors. For adventure purposes, you should have a multi-tool Swiss army knife that has sewing attachment or a flashlight.
- The size of the Swiss Army Knife – this is one of the most critical factors that one should consider while choosing the right Swiss Army Knife. Having a Swiss Army Knife means it should be small enough to be comfortably fit in your pocket and performing as much as possible. For an average person, Swiss Army Knives with a small number of attachments can work just fine, but on the other hand, if someone loves building things or taking stuff apart, then a knife with more attachments should be preferred.
Having Swiss Army Knives needs some safety guides too. Before having one for you, one should know the best way to handle them. You never know about the situation when you find yourself face to face with an attacker; in that case, you have to defend yourself. Swiss Army Knives can be used for self-defense. These are slightly ineffective as compared to other self-defense objects. But they can give severe damages to the attacker’s arteries. For the first time buyer, choosing the best Swiss army knife for survival, or other needs can be tricky. So we recommend that if you’re a first time buyer, you should do enough research online so you’ll be able to pick the best one for yourself.
Frequently Asked Questions on Swiss army knives
Multi tools, Swiss army knives and knives with blades that are shorter than 2.5 inches are legal. Every country has their own knife legislations, for example, UK knife law allows you to carry on locking pocket knives with a blade length up to 3 inches, but they have their guidelines for carrying the knives in public areas. One should have a good reason to carry Swiss army knives. Swiss army knives are not considered a weapon.
The Swiss army decided to purchase a simple folding pocket knife for their soldiers. Soldiers require a screwdriver for assembly and opening canned food. But at that time, they did not have official Swiss army knives that are in the late 1880s. No Swiss company had the production capacity to supply the knives to the Swiss army. So, an initial order for 15000 knives was completed by a German knives manufacturer that was delivered in October 1891 and designated model 1890. Today Victorinox headquarters manufacture manufacturing facility is located in the Swiss town of Ibach. The company manufactures around 34000 knives every day, with 90% being exported to fulfill global knife demand. Now, it is widely used by the people as well instead of army battalions for various tasks.
Victorinox is the manufacturer of the Swiss Army Knives, or we can say that Swiss army knives are made by Victorinox. These Swiss army knives are made of proprietary blend steel from Germany and France. So, Victorinox is the manufacturer; on the other hand, this company produces Swiss army knives. So, Victorinox and Swiss army knives have a relation of manufacturer and product.
The Final Verdict
All the multi-tools mentioned above are one of the best in some sense. All are made of stainless steel and provide basic tools for day to day use. But there can only be one real winner. The final verdict is that the Huntsman Pocket Knife is the Best Swiss Army Knife of 2020. The Huntsman comes out as winner because of its compact size and wide range of tools. It’s the most all-around knife of the 10 we’ve reviewed and believe that everyone that goes camping, hiking of loves outdoor activities needs to have this knife. Furthermore, the Huntsman has outstanding high quality and comes with a lifetime warranty. For more information about outdoor knives read the review about the best Karambit knife.